First week of work

Lots of unboxing, running around, playing with new gear, meeting new people and having a blast while doing it.

Built a Server 2012 DC on a workstation to handle temporary logins for users until the Ballarat site is hooked in to the global network, set up 4x ADSL2+ connections for temporary internet access to then be the backup/guest network. Racked, connected and configured 2x Fortinet FortiGate 200D appliances and configured policy based routes to get the Fusion Broadband ADSL2+ connections from one server room, through the DMZ link, over fiber to another server room incoming to it’s DMZ link, and distributed to the LAN clients. Got there in the end!

Now that all the computers and monitors are out on desks, the next task is creating a base Windows 7 image with Office 2013 and some other bits and pieces to then distribute to the rest. ImageX and WDS will be used for this. Fun fun!

IMG_20141007_082757 IMG_20141007_145807 IMG_20141008_091217 IMG_20141008_091247 IMG_20141008_091309 IMG_20141008_152621 IMG_20141008_154915 IMG_20141009_140933 IMG_20141009_142343 IMG_20141009_161709 IMG_20141010_124059

NBN Ho!

One false start and a bit over one month after the initial install date, we’re finally online with NBN!

I’ve chosen to go with Exetel on a 100/40 500GB plan for $89/month, and managed to use over 100GB in updates and streaming in 2 days… might need to up that to unlimited for $10 more… hmmm….

speedtest

pingtest

IMG_20141006_142358

IMG_20141006_114249

New tent and location!

In continuing my completely ad-hoc use of this blog, here’s an update!

We bought a new tent. It’s going to be used for camping. Pretty revolutionary stuff. The tent is the best I’ve ever had. Bastard of a thing to get up at first, but then I pulled my head out and pinned all the corners down which made the process a hell of a lot easier.

Alice and I have also moved to Ballarat Victoria!

I’ve gotten myself a nice IT job here which I’m stoked about. Started today and my heads still spinning at all the possibilities :) Looking forward to the challenges ahead.

Here’s some happy snaps.

IMG_20141003_114806

IMG_20141003_105330

IMG_20141003_102714

IMG_20141002_135417

IMG_20141002_135403

Injecting Windows updates in to a .WIM using Microsofts DISM utility

So we have recently deployed IE10 to our Department (behind the times I know) and now have the need to include it in our SOE.

For this I have chosen to use Micrsofts DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) Tool.

Getting IE10 and the pre-requisites on there was easy enough.

So I decided to try injecting all the Windows updates which our SCCM server server normally takes care of in to the .WIM as well to try and cut down on deployment time for new machines. Currently after applying the reference image during OSD it goes through over 100 updates which takes some time.

I found a nifty utility called DISM GUI created by a guy called Mike Celone. You can find it here: http://dismgui.codeplex.com/

Using this made the task of injecting the mass of updates much easier for sure. However even after importing the finalised .WIM back in to SCCM and reloading the file ready for deployment, the OSD sequence still saw fit to download and install over 90 updates… I am currently looking in to why this is the case!

The following sites have been helpful in my quest:
http://www.utilizewindows.com/7/deployment/203-apply-updates-to-windows-7-image-using-dism

 

Update: So after some log trawling, it looks like injecting these updates might not guarantee them to be installed. Doing a /get-packages on the mounted .WIM using the DISM tool we see the following. 130 updates needing attention once things get going.

DISM updates

Next stop will be to try and remove the Install Updates section of the SOE task sequence in SCCM and see if these updates still get installed correctly, as one would think that by injecting them with this tool should bypass that step…

Update2: So removing the Install Updates step out of the SOE task sequence did nothing to help the situation. After 10 odd minutes of waiting once a refresh of the SCCM client was done it proceeded to download over 100 software updates from the SCCM server and wait for a installation window. Looks like multiple Install Software Updates tasks and Restart Computer will be the way. At least this will prevent it from happening once the desktop is reached.

Update3: Multiple Install Software Updates and Restart Computer steps in the task sequence caused the OSD to error and stop. The smsts logs did not give much info as to what was wrong in this regard so I have left it as one restart and 2 software update install steps which is working.